They have straw bales and branches for natural roosting behaviour and fresh deep straw bedding in the barns and shelters where they choose to go for warmth and protection. They are slow growing, old fashioned breeds reared to full maturity on the farm. With free access to their wholesome herb and cereal based diet, free from antibiotics and growth promoters, this ensures a succulent, tender meat from a naturally kept, free-living bird.
ChristmasFestive Family Dining
CHRISTMAS ORDERS 2023 BEING TAKEN
Please use our online order form as this will guide you through your choices and sizing requirements
Please note we are closed from Sunday 17th for Christmas prep and we re open on Wednesday 20th Dec for order collections.
Tuesday 19 December Closed
Wednesday 20 December 8am-4pm
Thursday 21 December 8am-4pm
Friday 22 December 8am-4pm
Thursday 28 December 8am-5pm
Friday 29 December 8am-5pm
Saturday 30 December 7am-4pm
Monday 1 January Closed
Tuesday 2 January 8am-5pm
Wednesday 3 January 8am-5pm
Our turkeys are dry-plucked by hand and game hung for at least 2 weeks in the traditional manner to enhance the flavour. As the turkeys are picked from a number of slow growing breeds it allows for a variety of weights from fully matured birds grown over at least a 6 month period.
Free Range White Turkey
This classic bird produces a succulent, tasty breast meat with generous thighs and wings for those who prefer the darker portions.
Free Range Bronze Turkey
The bronze turkey is more closely related to the wild turkey in both appearance and taste. Its richer, gamier taste has risen in popularity recently.
What size bird to choose?
Remember that the larger the bird then the more meat-to-bone ratio so the better value for money, especially if you’re a fan of the turkey leftovers!!
|Oven Ready Weight of Turkey
|Number of People Served
|6 - 8
|8 - 10
|10 - 12
|12 - 14
|14 - 16
|16 - 18
We also offer a boneless turkey crown which can be plain or stuffed and comes wrapped in our dry-cured bacon.
Choosing your Stuffing
We offer a selection of homemade stuffings to complement the flavour of your Christmas turkey.
- Homemade sage and onion
- Sausage meat
We also recommend our dry-cured smoked or streaky bacon to lay on top of your bird to seal in and enhance the flavour.
How to Cook your turkey
Allow your turkey to come to room temperature for a few hours pre-cooking. Know your turkey’s weight including stuffing.
- for birds 4-6.5kg calculate 20 minutes per kg plus an extra 75 mins
- for birds above 6.5kg calculate 20 minutes per kg plus an extra 90 mins
Turkey + Stuffing
|Approx cooking time
- Preheat the oven to 190 C
- Place your turkey on large sheets of foil in a large roasting tin. Butter the bird and season and overlap the bacon rashers across the turkey breast and legs
- Fold the sheets of foil to make a tent over the turkey leaving a large air gap between turkey and foil
- Cook at 190 C for the allotted time but remember ovens can vary so be guided by your bird or invest in a meat thermometer
- Check on your turkey every 20 minutes and keep it moist by basting with the lovely juices from the bottom of the pan
- Thirty minutes before the end, fold back the foil, remove the bacon and baste again which will allow the breast to brown
- Check your turkey is cooked by putting a skewer/sharp knife into the fattest part of the thigh and see the juices run clear (not pink or red) and the meat should pull apart easily. If not, pop your turkey back in the oven to cook for a bit longer
- Rest your turkey pre-carving for 30-60 minutes covered in fresh foil
- Carve, relax and enjoy!
Other Christmas Goodies
Don’t forget your chipolatas, cocktail sausages or pigs WITH blankets. We have rich and creamy goose fat for perfect roast potatoes, poultry stock and cranberry sauce along with other condiments to complement your table.
Boxing day delights include:
- Smoked or unsmoked dry-cured gammons on the bone or boneless
- Smoked or unsmoked cooked hams on the bone or boneless with a marmalade glaze
Alternatives to Turkey
For those who prefer something different for their Christmas table we have slowly grown, free range goose, free range capons and chickens or free range duck. Christmas is a wonderful time for game and so pheasant, partridge, mallard, pigeon, guinea fowl and quail would be available along with our wild local venison.
Come and see us for some festive inspiration.